[Mailman-Users] Gmail "features"

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 7 13:31:42 CEST 2012

Lucio Crusca writes:

 > Now I'm facing this problem:
 >
 > http://tinyurl.com/c9pn9sk
 > http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=it&answer=6588
 >
 > There's a fact that makes me think a solution has to exist: I've
 > run a few mailman lists on a different debian server until a few
 > months ago and they did not have this problem.

Your fact is presumably due to some error in observation, since Gmail
acknowledges this behavior as a feature of Gmail.  It is simply not
possible to receive your own posts on Gmail; you can only keep the
Sent folder copy.

Are you sure you don't mean a different issue such as FAQ 3.42?

    http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030690

 > A friend of mine is currently running a few lists on yet another
 > debian server and those do not have the gmail "feature" as of
 > today.

Please recheck; if there's a reasonable way to get around this, there
are probably thousands of Gmail users who would love to do so.  But I
suspect you'll discover that Gmail users simply won't receive their
own posts from the list.

 > So, next question: is there any unofficial, untested, underground,
 > YMMV patch for mailman that masks/forges the messages copy to the
 > sender so that gmail does not recognize it as such and lets it
 > through?

I would imagine that you could change the Message-ID at the list, and
that might do the trick.  But that is strictly against the relevant
standards for mail.  Among other things, it would break deduplication
measures for all of your subscribers, not just posters.  It should be
possible to do it for the particular message sent to the poster only,
but that would be delicate.

Steve