[Mailman-Users] Exporting archives to a text file

David dave at fiteyes.com
Tue Apr 24 04:18:02 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Patricia A Moss <pmoss4 at csc.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I am using Mailman version 2.1.9; with Namazu, version 2.0.15, as my
> search engine. It is running on a Linux server, running RedHat 4.0
>
> This system has been in place for quite a number of years. I am running
> out of space and don't have the option to upgrade my hardware. I would
> like to move the very old archives off of the server and into a text file,
> or perhaps a pdf, to clear space on my server.
> I can not just delete the older archives. The clients that use the mailman
> lists want to be able to see/read the older archives, for reference
> purposes; hence the need for a text or pdf file.

Where would you store these PDF or text files so that clients can read
them? If they are accessible on that server wouldn't they take up about as
much room as they do now? (PDF might take up more room.)

I'm not the best person to answer this, but maybe you should look at other
ways to save space on the server (e.g., indexes). Another option might be
compressing your mailbox files. (Maybe you can even enable compression on
an entire partition?)

Again, I'm not an expert on this, but my approach would be to leave the
archives in place since clients require access to them and find a way to
compress the files or delete *other* files that clients don't require
access to. Hope that helps.