[Mailman-Users] Hotmail - Sender appears as (Unknown) and (No Subject) line

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 23 16:12:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Pearl & Dean Newsletter
<donotreply at pearlanddean.com> wrote:

> Having a problem with Mailman and Hotmail.

The "Mailman and" is redundant....

> All other e-mail providers are fine and show the correct Sender and Subject
> line.

That is pretty strong evidence that Mailman is fine and Hotmail is
broken.  Also, the relevant Subject and From header fields appear to
be correct (without the actual address, I can't be sure -- it seems
very unlikely that the list's address is broken, though).

> Here is the Message Header from the Hotmail recieved e-mail (I've removed
> our email details, IP etc to hide our privacy):

Unfortunately, as I received it from the Mailman mailing list, the
header is broken from the very first line (there are line breaks
resulting in mail header syntax errors, both in that first line and in
several other places).  Most likely this is due to your mail client,
or due to cut and paste, but if this is what Hotmail is seeing, it's a
mess.  But it's not Mailman's mess, or the other mail clients would
also be reporting obvious breakage.  It's happening somewhere after
leaving your host, and it would appear that all later hosts are under
Hotmail control (it's hard to be confident without the redacted
information).

Looking only at the headers that should supply the missing information:

> From: <E-MAIL REMOVED>
> To: <E-MAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: Lockout,
>    Salmon Fishing In The Yemen & more! Competition & Picture Quiz!

Assuming the above are formatted as received by Hotmail, I see no
excuse for not displaying the author and subject fields properly.

> Sender: E-MAIL REMOVED

The Sender field confuses Microsoft Outlook, but the symptom of the
confusion is that horrible "From: xxx on behalf of yyy" header.

Maybe somebody else has heard of this before and can suggest a
workaround, but I really don't see anything that anybody but Hotmail
can do anything about.