[Mailman-Users] suspending lists from the command line

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 3 07:00:55 CEST 2012

On 4/2/2012 9:44 PM, turgut kalfaoğlu wrote:
> Thank you very much for your feedback. I just wanted to pause mail
> processing on most lists during the primetime.
> Right now I achieve the same thing by stopping mailman for a few hours
> during the prime time. However, some low-traffic,
> and important lists also get suspended that way, and I would rather find
> a more elegant solution if possible.
> I just would like to queue the mails coming to those lists during the
> day, release them when the server load gets low again.

Setting emergency moderation on those lists should do what you want,
although you'll have to manually approve the posts that arrived while
emergency was in effect.

> I tried the maximum recipients patch that is suppose to pause mailman
> after X deliveries, but it hasn't seem to have worked.

What patch is that? Are you referring to the throttling patch linked
from the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/j4A9>? That should work to slow
mail delivery during peak times, but the drawback with that is it will
still deliver posts in the order they arrived, i.e., your high priority
lists won't have priority, but it should be better than just stopping
Mailman.