[Mailman-Users] Reply filter

Wed Sep 28 14:39:19 CEST 2011

On 9/28/11 5:06 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:10:34 +0100, Richard Damon
> <Richard at damon-family.org> wrote:
>
>> I run a large community based mailing list using mailman (version
>> 2.1.9, I know a bit old, but that is what the hosting service
>> provides) and I have a couple of users that while normally ok, at
>> times get into arguments with each other on the list. A thought came
>> up, would it be possible to configure the list so that if one of
>> these persons replies to a message from another, the message gets
>> held for review. The people are a bit lazy, so when they do the reply
>> all (list is setup so reply goes to sender, reply all goes to list
>> and send) the other persons email shows up a To: or Cc:
>
> Mark's solution is, of course, more technically elegant than what I'm
> abut to suggest but I wonder if, trying to think sideways a little,
> you could catch the majority of the messages you wish to moderate by
> one or both of:
>  - set 'max_num_recipients' to 2 so anything with a Cc is caught
>  - set a spam trap for anything that already has [subject-prefix] in
> the subject line.
>
> = Malcolm.

That would catch EVERYONES replies to posts, which I don't want. There
are a couple of small groups that just don't see eye to eye on some
issues, and sometimes go after each other. Since the list gets about 100
messages a day, I don't want to do anything that causes a large number
of messages to end up in the moderation queue.