[Mailman-Users] Invitation or subscription on behalf list-owner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 5 07:20:57 CEST 2011

Syafril Hermansyah wrote:

>On 09/04/2011 10:09 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> Is there a way to to change invitation or adding new member on behalf
>>> listname-owner at domain.com?
[...]
>No, I only need (mass) invitation, adding new (mass) subscription (and
>password reminder) send on behalf list-owner at domain.com while the rest I
>let Mailman bounce handler to handle the job.

You can't quite get that level of granularity withoud making more
extensive code modifications, but you can set the envelope sender to
listname-owner for all list welcome messages by finding the definition
of the SendSubscribeAck() method in the Deliverer class in
Mailman/Deliverer.py and changing the last line from

        msg.send(self, verp=mm_cfg.VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES)

        msg.send(self, verp=mm_cfg.VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES,
                 envsender=self.GetOwnerEmail())

You can set the envelope sender to listname-owner for all invitations
by finding the definition of the InviteNewMember() method in the
MailList class in Mailman/MailList.py and changing the last line from

        msg.send(self)

        msg.send(self, envsender=self.GetOwnerEmail())

Password reminders are trickier. In standard GNU Mailman, a user gets a
single reminder for all subscribed lists for a given host. Thus, this
reminder comes from the site list, not from the list(s) to which the
user is subscribed, but normally password reminders don't bounce. If
the address is undeliverable, the user will get delivery disabled and
eventually unsubscribed by normal bounce processing. The only time
this doesn't occur is if the user has set nomail and then the user's
address goes bad. In any case, for various complicated reasons (read
all the comments in Mailman/Queue/BounceRunner.py), bounces of
password reminders are sent to the owner of the site list.

>Base on my experience on old Ecartis, there are a lot of occasion the
>the new member <address> are not valid either because the person who
>inform him/her are not correct or the list-owner made typo.
>I know that sooner or later non-valid member will be automatically
>unsubcribe by Mailman bounce handler, but if list-owner known first they
>can make correction as soon as possible.

Understood.

[...]
>I have made/add recipient_bcc_map to handle all mail address to
>listname-bounce at domain.com always bcc: to listname-owner at domain.com, but
>apparently this setting not working as expected when the receiver MTA
>reject the message on smtp level.

<http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html> says about recipient_bcc_maps:

   Optional BCC (blind carbon-copy) address lookup tables, indexed by
   recipient address. The BCC address (multiple results are not
   supported) is added when mail enters from outside of Postfix.

I.e., if the mail is accepted by a remote MX and then bounced,
recipient_bcc_maps will be effective as the bounce comes from outside,
but as you observe, if the outgoing message is regected during SMTP,
the bounce does not enter from outside of Postfix so
recipient_bcc_maps is not consulted.

What you could do is change the alias from

LISTNAME-bounces: "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME"

LISTNAME-bounces: "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME",
     LISTNAME-owner

If you have Mailman/Postfix integration, you could even automate this
by setting POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD in mm_cfg.py to point to a script that
would edit the -bounce aliases appropriately and then invoke
/usr/sbin/postalias.