[Mailman-Users] Installed, now stumped

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sun Sep 4 15:58:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011, Michael Cooley wrote:

> With some slight edits to the configure script, I've successfully
> installed mailman on my Hostmonster user account. Not knowing where to go
> from there, I went into the cgi-bin dir and ran 'admin' from my shell
> account. This error showed up in the log:
>
> admin(19369):   File "/home1/ancestr2/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line
> 106,
> admin(19369):     if not request_method.lower() in ['get', 'post', 'head']:
> admin(19369): AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'
>
> I commented out the offending lines (for the hell of it) and the script ran.

This is not how you're meant to run admin.  It's meant to be called from
the web.  The lines above show that the script is looking to see whichHTTP
request method was used, and it's crashing because no request method was
used.

> I think I need to be pointed to a doc that tells me how to implement the
> front-end. What public directory do I need and what do I put into it?

You should look at the installation manual.  You can read/download it from
http://list.org/./site.html

If your host is a webhost rather than a VPS (virtual server), you may find
yourself running into difficulties, particularly with integrating Mailman
with the mail transport agent.  I don't know anything about Hostmonster
but others here probably do.

If this is your problem, you're going to have problems with all mailing
list software in thie regard.

Geoff.