[Mailman-Users] Implicit Address rehash

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 31 21:16:05 CET 2011

On 10/31/2011 1:03 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I looked at these in the admin interface, and didn't see a specific "To"
> line, so I thought it must be looking at the envelope.

MTAs, etc. look at the envelope for delivery information, but Mailman
looks at the To: and Cc: headers to determine if the list is explicitly
addressed.

> The Message Headers has the following in it:

>     by xxxxxxxx.cnpapers.net (8.12.11.20060308/8.12.11) with ESMTP id
> p9VIp1Fr020768
>     for <cn-dailydeals at xxxxxxx.cnpapers.net>; Mon, 31 Oct 2011
> 14:51:01 -0400
>
> I x'ed out a little to try and keep spam away, although that's almost
> impossible in today's world. There is a "for" address in the header line.

Which is a reflection of the envelope recipient, but Mailman is not
considering that at this point. The envelope must have been addressed to
the list or the post wouldn't be there at all. Mailman is verifying that
the list or an acceptable alias is explicitly addressed in a To: or Cc:
header which is not true in this case.

> There's an earlier line in the headers where the address appears proper,
> though still not a real "To", but another "for" line.
>
> The To line in my MailWatch headers shows a normal To address.

That too is the envelope recipient.

You have two choices. Make the PHP script put the list address in a To:
header in the mail or turn off the list's require_explicit_destination.