[Mailman-Users] throttling mailman for a relay smtp server

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Mon Oct 24 20:22:59 CEST 2011

Hello, Mark,

in essence this has worked well and I did not exceeded the limits given
for the smtp connection.

I retained use of Postfix relaying to the isp's smtp server purely
because it is going as is. No idea of whether setting
SMTPHOST = smtp.myisp.com would be what I should do to any advantage
but since it wasn't broken I didn't fix it.

Now the question of the initial settings for the throttle patch:

THROTTLE_TIME = 60
THROTTLE_LIMIT = 20 (since upped nearer to stated limit for 60s)

so tailing the log I see them leaving in batches of 20. ie 20 messages
in 60 seconds, no problem

Our most common local domain is telkomsa.net and when I see one of
those picked up in the batch of 20 the following messages in that batch
were all to that domain.

The setting for
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 50

Am I right that this would be the max number of telkomsa.net messages
that could be grouped together to that domain? (I don't know how this
works but imagine that you can send one message bagged with multiple
addresses to one domain)

Therefore as I understand this, no point in having SMTP_MAX_RCPTS >
THROTTLE_LIMIT as in the example given the result would be unchanged
from setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 20

Is my understanding correct?

Anne