[Mailman-Users] throttling mailman for a relay smtp server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 16 18:20:21 CEST 2011

On 10/16/2011 6:09 AM, Anne Wainwright wrote:

> 2. I see a patch for SMTPDirect that looks like it might be good and
> perhaps an easier route

It should work.

> 3. Then I see Mailman FAQ 4.72 "How do I configure Mailman to use an
> external SMTP server?"
>
> 4. confusion because this says "In mm_cfg.py add or modify:
> 	DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
> 	SMTPHOST = 'mail.example.com' "
>
> and they are not in my mm_cfg.py and anyway we are running with postfix

SMTPDirect is the default. See Defaults.py.

The default for SMTPHOST is 'localhost', i.e. your Postfix. If you
override this in mm_cfg.py, you are saying connect to port 25 of
whatever host you specify to send the mail rather than your own Postfix.

> ??? does SMTPDirect replace having postfix do the smtp-ing?

No. SMTPDirect is the Mailman module that delivers to your Postfix (or
to SMTPHOST) via SMTP. There is no viable alternative - the 'Sendmail'
module is NOT recommended.

> ??? the patch patches SMTPDirect so it won't do anything if I do not
> explicitly declare it in mm_cfg.py?

Wrong. SMTPDirect is the default handler.

> ??? what will happen then?
> ??? should I just patch it anyway and it will go for me?

Probably.