[Mailman-Users] Setting new_member_options flag (fwd)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 4 03:20:01 CEST 2011

On 10/3/2011 8:04 AM, Michela Botti wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to set the flag ReceiveNonmatchingTopics
> for new members of my list. If I understand correctly, what I need to do is
> to change DEFAULT_NEW_MEMBER_OPTIONS from the default value of 256 to
> 320 in
> mm_cfg.py.
> In fact, when a new list is created, the new_member_options is set
> correctly
> to 320, but, as I modify some of the settings of the list (e.g.
> preferred_language) and I output the configuration file from
> config_list, I find that the new_member_options reset to 256, and it
> seems impossible to change it via the configuration file.

This is really a bug. The problem is whenever you submit any changes to
the list's General Options page, new_member_options is reset to only
those options that are checked on that page. Options other than the four
that are shown on the page are reset.

Because of the same bug, attempts to set option bits other than 2, 4, 16
and 256 via config_list new_member_options= will not succeed.

You can set these other bits by specifying, e.g.

mlist.new_member_options = 360

instead of

new_member_options = 360

in the input to config_list or using withlist, but even if you do, the
first time you submit any changes to the General Options page, the bits
other than the displayed four will be reset.

I have reported this at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/865825>.