[Mailman-Users] Customizing Monthly Reminder

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 3 04:45:31 CEST 2011

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>I am trying to customize my monthly password reminder for a specific
>list. As I understood the documentation, in 'templates' I had to create
>the directory path 'lists/<list name>/en' and place an edited copy of
>'userpass.txt' into it. However, when the monthly reminder is sent, it
>uses the original default text for the reminder. What am I
>misunderstanding about the hierarchy of customized files? TIA.

First of all, the template for monthly reminders is cronpass.txt, not
userpass.txt. userpass.txt is for 'on demand' reminders, but that
isn't the only issue.

A second issue is list specific templates do not go in
templates/lists/<listname>/<lc>/. They go in a language (en or
whatever) directory in the already existing lists/<listname> directory
(the directory that contains config.pck), but there is yet another
issue.

Monthly password reminders are sent from the site (mailman) list. A
single reminder message includes passwords for all lists with the same
host_name to which the recipient is subscribed with reminders enabled.
Thus, the template is processed without a list context, and a
customized cronpass.txt template placed in a list directory will not
be consulted. You have to put it in templates/site/en/cronpass.txt or
templates/<host_name>/en/cronpass.txt, and it will apply to reminders
for all lists or all lists with that host_name.

I have just updated the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9> to mention
this fact.