[Mailman-Users] Integrating with a forum

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Sun May 29 23:22:30 CEST 2011

Hi, folks.

I admin a list for a community which wants to expand our list to a
forum. Some of us really like list communication; others would prefer
a forum. Instead of forcing the issue, we want to do both, with
bidirectional mirroring.

I know this issue has been raised before, and I know it's tricky. I'm
not a programmer, but we have a programmer on hand who is willing to
do the integration. All I need to do is scope the requirements
properly. Here is my initial requirements definition, which is all
very tentative:
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/Forum_integration

In there, you can see that I did find M2F, which appears to be a list<-
 >forum integrator. Great. But it only works with phpBB 2. Not only is
phpBB2 out of date, but also from past experience I find phpBB to be
pretty underwhelming. So I'd like to use a more sophisticated (but
still FOSS) forum such as MyBB (or others if you can suggest one that
is up to the task). There is an alpha of M2F that claims to it
eventually will do the trick, but it is indeed very alpha.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has any better insights than I have
had so far and/or any comments on my existing document linked above.

Apart from the technical difficulties, the additional problem I see is
with message overload. So I'm thinking of setting a second list. The
existing one would be a full bidirectional mirror of the forum, and a
new one would just be an announce list of any new topics posted to
either (ie, anything that is a new topic on the forum or a new thread
on the list). Or can I do that with umbrella lists somehow?

Am I dreaming. Is this just way too complicated to tackle?

I further want the forum to support OpenID. I imagine that adds
additional layers of complexity when combined with list integration.

Any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ed Pastore
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Ed_Pastore