[Mailman-Users] migrating lists off an old RHEl3 server to RHEL6.1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 27 06:26:04 CEST 2011

On 5/26/11 8:52 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I just move the aliases file and the various lists directories and archive off the old server and more them to the correct place on the new server restart mailman and it will work?
>
> Or is there other work to do

It depends. At a minimum, you should move the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck
files and archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files and run
bin/arch on each list to rebuild the pipermail archives. The
archives/private/LISTNAME/ directories and their contents will be
created by bin/arch LISTNAME. The archives/public/* symlinks will be
automatically created as lists are accessed.

If any domain names changed, you will need to run fix_url.

Aliases depend on whether they are manual or automated on the new
server. If they are automated, you only need to run bin/genaliases after
moving the lists. Even if manual, bin/genaliases should tell you what
you need.

See the first part of the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9> and the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>.

San Francisco Bay Area, California    Better use your sense - B. Dylan