[Mailman-Users] Minor addition to Mailman/Cgi/options.py

Malcolm Austen malcolm.austen at weald.org.uk
Tue May 3 12:43:44 CEST 2011

On Mon, 02 May 2011 22:30:55 +0100, C Nulk <CNulk at scu.edu> wrote:

> Don't know if this small addition would be useful to anyone else but I
> will pass it along.
>
> A little explanation first.  It seems our users have some difficulty in
> unsubscribing from the lists they are on.  I know it is simple, yet I
> get a lot of email complaining the process is to difficult.  The biggest
> issue I see is when the user puts in their email address then clicks the
> "unsubscribe or edit options" button and the user lands on the Options
> page.  Apparently, the users see the password field and try a password
> and then find out it is not the correct one.  The users just don't seem
> to read the page first which even tells the users to click the
> unsubscribe button if they are trying to unsubscribe.  Well, they don't
> read, have problems, then email me that they have tried "everything" and
> it doesn't work.
>
> My solution was to modify the Mailman/Cgi/options.py file ...

I started from a slightly different problem, of people who would, say,
type in a new password, then scroll down admoring all the other options
and click the save button at the bottom, the one for their 'subscription
options'. I don't have access to the server so tackled this (to a degree,
you may debate how effective it is) by edits to the list info and personal
options HTML. In case it matters, this host is still running MailMan 2.1.9
:-(

<URL:http://www.weald.org.uk/mm-info.txt>
    gives this appearance to the list info page
    <URL:http://www.weald.org.uk/mm-info.png>

The main benefit is to be able to point people to the numbered sections!

<URL:http://www.weald.org.uk/mm-options.txt>
   give this appearance to the list options page
   <URL:http://www.weald.org.uk/mm-options-top.png>
   <URL:http://www.weald.org.uk/mm-options-bottom.png>

I think(hope) the table frames prompt people to use the various <form>s on
the page separately and avoid the perception of a single set of choices
with multiple save buttons.

regards, Malcolm.