[Mailman-Users] Question about Mailman domain and OS X serverset-up.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Mar 31 02:36:28 CEST 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 6:15 PM, JRC Groups wrote:

> Is there anyone on the list who is familiar with both OS X Server and
> Mailman to help with this problem ? I am willing to pay a consultation fee
> to someone who can connect to my server remotely and help solve this issue.

I've been an Apple consultant, at least part-time.  I came within a hairs breadth of doing that job full-time for a local Apple VAR.  I've got all the PDF versions of all the official Apple documentation on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server, as well as PDF versions of the good 3rd party books on the subject.  And I've been a professional Unix system administrator and consultant for over twenty years.

The guy who used to run lists.apple.com was involved in the development and support of Mailman long before I came along, and has more experience in the business than I do.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic or to rain on your parade, but in both cases, the solution was to blow away the stuff that Apple ships, and to install the "real deal" code as downloaded from list.org.

The Mailman project is freely available open source (under a GNU license, no less), and the support we provide is best effort.  There is no commercial version of Mailman that we sell or officially support.  Anyone else that includes Mailman as part of a commercial product or service that they sell, should include with that a full after-sales support staff.

Note that there isn't going to be a separate "Server" edition of Mac OS X "Lion".

No one seems to know if this means that all the stuff that the "Server" edition used to include will now be available to everyone, and that all the people who developed the "Server" edition of Mac OS X have been transitioned over to the mainline code development team, or if that means that a lot of products and services will get thrown out the door as Apple re-focuses exclusively on the retail/home user market.

But that is certainly something that you should keep in mind as you look towards solutions in this space.