[Mailman-Users] Question about Mailman domain and OS X serverset-up.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 28 22:27:10 CEST 2011

JRC Groups wrote:

>While discussing some possible DNS set-up issues I might need to resolve on
>my server a certain IT professional mentioned to me that Mailman shouldn't
>be run using a virtual domain. I am not sure if this professional was
>referring to virtual domains in general or only those running on Mac OS X
>Server.

Just a quick addendum to Brad's response. From the point of view of the
mail server rather than Mailman, There should be full circle DNS.
I.e., an rDNS lookup of the server's IP address should give a
host/domain name and a lookup of that name should return an A record
(not a CNAME) with the same IP. Also, when sending mail, the server
should identify itself in HELO with the same name.

These things should be true for any mail server regardless of Mailman.

Now if a mailman list is in a virtual domain, the envelope sender of
messages from that list will be the virtual domain. This is fine, but
if the virtual domain publishes an SPF record, it needs to specify the
server's name as a permitted sender.