[Mailman-Users] Question about Mailman domain and OS X server set-up.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Mar 28 09:24:11 CEST 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:31 AM, JRC Groups wrote:

> While discussing some possible DNS set-up issues I might need to resolve on
> my server a certain IT professional mentioned to me that Mailman shouldn't
> be run using a virtual domain. I am not sure if this professional was
> referring to virtual domains in general or only those running on Mac OS X
> Server.

In general, there are absolutely no problems running Mailman on a machine that hosts multiple virtual domains.  The machines at python.org do this today.  While the official purpose of the machines is to serve the python.org domain and the mailing lists for this domain, there are lists for multiple other virtual domains that are also hosted there, and a single Mailman instance manages all those mailing lists just fine.

There are some issues you need to be aware of with regards to using a single Mailman instance to handle mailing lists for multiple virtual domains, which are detailed in the FAQ wiki.  But so long as you make sure that you don't ever try to create a mailing list by the same name in multiple different virtual domains that are handled by the same Mailman instance, there shouldn't be any major problems.

However, the version of Mailman as shipped by Apple has some significant differences from the official version of Mailman as we provide for download from the list.org site (and mirrors).

These issues are also covered in the FAQ Wiki, but the gist is that we cannot definitively provide answers for how the Apple-provided version of Mailman will work.  Since they modified the code that is installed, if you want support for the Apple-provided version of Mailman, you would need to go to Apple for that.  We can give you our best guess for how we think things should work in those kinds of situations, but that's about the best we can do.