[Mailman-Users] Explicit destination causes implicit destination bounce

Ian Gibbs ian at flash.org.uk
Fri Mar 11 16:30:45 CET 2011

Dear all,

I have read http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030676 FAQ 1.9 about implicit
destination. I am sending directly To: the list with no other recipients. The host_name setting is
pumb.org.uk. The conversation I had with the SMTP server is shown below. It still results in an
implicit destination error. Can anyone suggest why, please?

I'm in the process of migrating my lists from one server to another. I have not yet updated the MX
records for the domain, thus my sending the mail directly to the server rather than using a mail
program.

Thanks for the help.

user at workstation:~$ telnet server 25
Trying IP...
Connected to server.
Escape character is '^]'.

220 server ESMTP Exim 4.71 Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:43:29 +0000
HELO workstation
250 server Hello workstation [89.16.174.50]
MAIL FROM:external at email.address

250 OK
RCPT TO:mailman at pumb.org.uk
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
Subject:Testing from guinevere 3
This is a message 3
.
250 OK id=1Py3ZU-0003YI-Rz