[Mailman-Users] Mailman discarded a post

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:55:16 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 22:41, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> >
> >However, when I checked on Mailman's logs, I was able to find an entry
> which
> >corresponds to this message, indicating it was discarded:
> >
> >Mar 05 18:59:01 2011 (1521) Message discarded, msgid: <
> >E1Pvtn8-0001IM-BE at mail.gprs.safaricom.com>
> >

> >Why would Mailman discard this message?
>

> There are several possible reasons. I think the most likely is the post
> is Content-Type: text/html, this type is not allowed by content
> filtering and the list's filter_action is Discard.
>
> Other possibilities include:
>
> The post is from a non-member and either the non-member is in
> discard_these_nonmembers or generic_nonmember_action is Discard.
>
> The post contains an X-BeenThere: header with the list's address.
>
> mm_cfg.py contains a non-empty definition of KNOWN_SPAMMERS (a list of
> (header, regexp) tuples) and a header in the post matches.
>
> A header in the post matches a header_filter_rules rule with a Discard
> action.
>
> The post is empty after content filtering and the list's filter_action
> is Discard.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the response.

The poster is a member of the list. Let's start from there.

Looking at my configuration for the list, under content filtering, it does
not look so obvious that a message of content-type: text/html would be
discarded. I had the option to convert such messages into plain text set to
"yes". I have now enabled the option to forward those posts to List Owner
instead of discard. I think the default action should be changed to "Forward
to List Owner" since on that page, how Mailman deals with such content does
not look so obvious to the configurator!

All other possibilities you suggested did NOT match:-)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,