[Mailman-Users] Mailman discarded a post

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 6 20:41:23 CET 2011

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>However, when I checked on Mailman's logs, I was able to find an entry which
>corresponds to this message, indicating it was discarded:
>
>Mar 05 18:59:01 2011 (1521) Message discarded, msgid: <
>E1Pvtn8-0001IM-BE at mail.gprs.safaricom.com>
>

>Why would Mailman discard this message?

There are several possible reasons. I think the most likely is the post
is Content-Type: text/html, this type is not allowed by content
filtering and the list's filter_action is Discard.

Other possibilities include:

The post is from a non-member and either the non-member is in
discard_these_nonmembers or generic_nonmember_action is Discard.

The post contains an X-BeenThere: header with the list's address.

mm_cfg.py contains a non-empty definition of KNOWN_SPAMMERS (a list of
(header, regexp) tuples) and a header in the post matches.

A header in the post matches a header_filter_rules rule with a Discard
action.

The post is empty after content filtering and the list's filter_action
is Discard.