[Mailman-Users] Postfix and ownership of the alias file

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 22 07:31:40 CEST 2011

Jeff White wrote:

>I recently migrated all my lists to a new Solaris system running
>2.1.14+patch but I'm having trouble determining who should own the
>aliases file and what uid/gid is used for what.
>
>Apache httpd runs as the user httpd
>Mailman runs as the user mailman
>Postfix runs as the user postfix
>
>I compiled with:
>
>./configure --with-username=mailman --with-cgi-gid=httpd
>--with-groupname=mailman --with-mail-gid=nobody
>--with-var-prefix=/var/mailman --with-urlhost=list.pitt.edu
>--with-mailhost=list.pitt.edu
>

>Aliases is owned by root:mailman

Normally for Mailman/Postfix integration, Mailman is configured with
--with-mail-gid=mailman and data/aliases.db is owned by
mailman:mailman. The owner of data/aliases is not important, but the
group should be 'mailman'.

>With this setup everything on the command line works such as
>bin/new_list and I can send mail to lists.  What does not work is
>creating lists via the Web interface which gives:
>command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /var/mailman/data/aliases (status:
>1, Not owner)
>
>If I change the ownership of the aliases to httpd:mailman that error
>goes away and I can create lists via the Web, but mail stops flowing with:
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>executed as group "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the
>mail script as group "httpd".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command
>line option `--with-mail-gid=httpd'.

Are you sure you mean 'aliases'? Normally, only the ownership of
aliases.db is significant. See the DELIVERY RIGHTS section in 'man 8
local'.