[Mailman-Users] Postfix and ownership of the alias file

Jeff White jaw171 at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 21 22:32:19 CEST 2011

I recently migrated all my lists to a new Solaris system running
2.1.14+patch but I'm having trouble determining who should own the
aliases file and what uid/gid is used for what.

Apache httpd runs as the user httpd
Mailman runs as the user mailman
Postfix runs as the user postfix

I compiled with:

./configure --with-username=mailman --with-cgi-gid=httpd
--with-groupname=mailman --with-mail-gid=nobody
--with-var-prefix=/var/mailman --with-urlhost=list.pitt.edu
--with-mailhost=list.pitt.edu

Aliases is owned by root:mailman

With this setup everything on the command line works such as
bin/new_list and I can send mail to lists.  What does not work is
creating lists via the Web interface which gives:
command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias /var/mailman/data/aliases (status:
1, Not owner)

If I change the ownership of the aliases to httpd:mailman that error
goes away and I can create lists via the Web, but mail stops flowing with:
Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as group "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the
mail script as group "httpd".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command
line option `--with-mail-gid=httpd'.

The postfix guys in irc said NOT to have it owned by the user postfix,
so I'm confused.  Who should own the aliases file?  What should my
--with-mail-gid be?

The errors suggest that the ownership should be httpd:mailman with
--with-mail-gid=httpd, but that seems silly.  I think it should be
postfix:mailman and --with-mail-gid=postfix but then how would Apache,
running as httpd, be able to do anything?

--
Jeff White
Linux/Unix Systems Engineer
Jaw171 at pitt.edu