[Mailman-Users] mailman and greeks in footer.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 20 19:37:05 CEST 2011

On 6/20/2011 7:03 AM, Kostas Theodoropoulos wrote:
> Hello to all. I run a mailing list using mailman version 2.1.14 with
> cpanel as administratore. This list speaks greeks. How ever when i
> add some instructions for the list in the footer i don’t have any
> luck. i see all the greeks in the footer like as #######. Thanks a
> lot for any help. --Kostas--

There is no Greek translation in current Mailman. There may be someone
working on one (see <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages>), but
nothing has been submitted.

I therefore suspect that even though discussion on your list is in
Greek, the list's preferred_language in Mailman is English, and thus
Mailman's character set for the web interface, the digest, the archives
and list footers is us-ascii.

There are no supported languages in Mailman 2.1.14 that use iso-8859-7
as a character set. There are several that use utf-8. These are Arabic,
Catalan, Galician, Hebrew, Slovak, Serbian, Ukrainian, Vietnamese,
Chinese (China) and Chinese (Taiwan).

Thus, you could set the list's preferred_language to one of the utf-8
languages, and it would then support Greek characters in footers, but
the web interface and archives and digest boiler plate would all be in
that language, and that would not be a satisfactory solution.

If your Mailman installation is hosted, there's not much you can do
beyond contacting the current Greek language champion (see the above
wiki page) to see if a translation can be submitted for the next
release, or perhaps submitting your own translation.

If this is your own server, you can change the character set for English
to utf-8 by adding a line like

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8')

to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and restarting
Mailman.

Even if this is a hosted server, you may be able to convince the host to
do the above.