[Mailman-Users] control mail distribution ..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 26 17:29:38 CET 2011

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>well I decreased the SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to only 5 (five) and when checking the
>mailq every now and then .. some of the 18 servers gave the following:
>
>-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
>335BB14BB8CA   111316 Wed Jan 26 09:04:29  MAILER-DAEMON
>                                                (unknown mail transport
>error)

This looks like the MTA has some problem delivering a bounce DSN.

>and some of them:
>
>-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
>7B477146C78   108725 Tue Jan 25 21:14:27
>balligho-bounces at ballighoseven.info
>                                                     (system resource
>problem)

The MTA has been unable to deliver this message for the indicated
reason. It has been successfully delivered from Mailman to the MTA.
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS has nothing to do with this.

>I kept rebooting the servers every while to get the mail moving

The need to do this indicates serious problems with your mail setup in
general. I can't help you with this. I don't think I can help you
further at all.

 .. and so
>far I received 27 messages out of 57 lists ..
>
>I'll raise it to 10 and try again..
>
>any thoughts ?

Just the above.