[Mailman-Users] owner alias bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 22 23:49:58 CET 2011

Florian Effenberger wrote:

>2010/12/18 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
>
>> The procedure for adding a host name is
>>
>> 1) Put the appropriate add_virtualhost() in mm_cfg.py.
>> 2) If Postfix is to generate virtual alias maps for this domain, add it
>> to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS in mm_cfg.py.
>> 3) To move any lists to that domain, run fix_url with the -u option on
>> the list(s)
>
>hm, do I get it right that I have to add the hostnames twice in
>mm_cfg.py when using Postfix, once in add_virtualhost, once in
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Maybe. It depends on what you are ultimately doing.

>Right now, I have DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST to
>lists.domain1.tld with the only add_virtualhost line being
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST).

OK. That's good.

>In addition, I
>have set POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.domain1.tld',
>'lists.domain2.tld'], so the only occurence of domain2 is in
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.

That may be OK. If lists.domain1.tld and lists.domain2.tld are both
virtual_alias_domains in postfix or otherwise require
virtual_alias_maps, then you need POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS as you
have it. This controls what lists get entries generated in
virtual-mailman for virtual_alias_maps.

>However, I have already wondered where to set the web URL. Right now,
>lists.domain2 still have lists.domain1 e.g. in the List-Archive
>header.

You want an additional add_virtualhost like

add_virtualhost('lists.domain2.tld', 'lists.domain2.tld')

This is so that you can go to http://lists.domain2.tld/mailman/create
(or whatever this translates to in your installation) and create a
list and it will be created with the proper
http://lists.domain2.tld/mailman/ web_page_url and lists.domain2.tld
host_name.

Also you can use "bin/newlist -u lists.domain2.tld" to create a list
properly in this domain, and you can use

 bin/withlist -l -r fix_url -u lists.domain2.tld existing-listname

to fix the web_page_url and host_name for an existing domain2 list
(after doing that, you may need to run bin/genaliases to update
virtual-mailman).

This will make appropriate links with host lists.domain2.tld in the
List-* headers in posts, on all dynamic web pages and all new or
modified archive pages for the list. However, existing static archive
pages will still have "listinfo" links with the old domain. These
either have to be ignored, edited manually or updated by rebuilding
the list's entire archive with "bin/arch --wipe listname".