[Mailman-Users] Missing password reminders

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 12 17:43:15 CET 2011

Allan Hansen wrote:

>I run Mailman 2.1.13 under Mac OS X Server 10.5.8. The mail delivery works
>fine (so far), but some of my subscribers insist that they are not getting
>the password reminders. One uses Google Mail, another Earthlink, so it's
>not provider specific. They assure me that the password reminder is not in
>their spam folder. The lists have password reminders turned on and the
>users have password reminders turned on. For the users that complain, I
>don't have bounces resulting from the reminders. Other users of the same
>lists get password reminders just fine.

Just a couple of remarks in addition to Larry Stone's advice.

Password reminders are sent from the site (mailman) list. In Mailman
2.1.13, bounces of messages from the site list are sent to the
owner(s) of the site list and not processed automatically. If the site
list owner is not a deliverable address whose mail you receive, you
won't see any password reminder bounces.

Some ISPs may filter or even discard password reminders. They can be
seen as spam because of the very large number of similar messages
being sent at one time. Services like Vipul's Razor
<http://razor.sourceforge.net/> and Pyzor
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pyzor/> will generally flag password
reminders.