[Mailman-Users] How to allow Poster to change default reply to from the list to the poster

Thu Jan 6 22:08:00 CET 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:51:28 -0600, Jason Bilbrey <jason at bilbrey.me>
wrote:

>I have a mailing list and the default if a recipient chooses reply or
>reply-to-all in their mail client is for the reply to go to the list.  (This
>is great for 99.9% of the time and exactly what I want).  However in certain
>situations I’d like to be able to send to the list but change the default
>behavior when someone chooses reply or reply-to-all to reply only to the
>original poster.
>

>Is that possible?

I see two possibilities.

One is to change the settings so while you continue to add the reply
to list header, you do not strip it out if present. Then the quizzer
can add the reply to header and the list will leave that, but
otherwise replies go to the list  ... unless someone has their email
program setup to add the reply to header to their mail, then replies
to their messages will not automatically go to the list.

A second solution is to have the quizzer add a token like [Quiz] to
these messages, and set the list to automatically hold all messages
with this token. You then accept the quiz, but reject the improperly
sent replies. You could just filter on Re:.*\[Quiz\] to avoid holding
the Quiz up, but this assumes that everyone who messes up where to
send the replies has their program properly set up to add the Re:

Richard Damon