[Mailman-Users] exclude lists question

Mark Prewitt mprewitt at teris.com
Thu Jan 6 19:54:06 CET 2011

Good Day,
 I have two lists that have essentially the same members except for one
person.  Unfortunately, they are client facing lists and we have different
clients using them so we cannot combine them or eliminate one which would
make this so much easier.

List a has 5 people on it
List b has 6 people on it

When we send an email to lista & listb  many of the people get 2 emails, so
we put listb in the lista exclude list and lista in the listb exclude list.
What happened then was surprising, no one got any emails, even the non-duped
people (as far as I have been able to tell anyway).

Anyone have an idea why this would happen and how to resolve it?
I also have the opposite happening where the same setup with listc & listd
and even though both are on each others' exclude lists, people are still
getting 2 emails. I suspect this is a forward rule doing this as not
everyone is getting duplicates, only some.  Any help figuring this out would
be greatly appreciated as well.

We have about 170 lists on the server and are running a stock 2.1.13 version
except the exclude list patch that is posted.

Thoughts?
 (oh! It's on an Apple Xserve running 10.6.x)

Mark

Mark Prewitt
Director of IT
M: 503.984.9700
O: 206.521.8717
TERIS.com <http://www.teris.com/>

Seattle | San Francisco | Silicon Valley | San Diego | Phoenix | Austin |
Dallas | Houston | Chicago

TERIS
  Built on Experience