[Mailman-Users] List on a different domain name?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 2 21:44:07 CET 2011

Chris Arnold wrote:

>Just upgraded to 2.1.14 on sles 10 sp3 with oes2. We use to have a domain that mailman was used on, this domain has since expired. We have a couple of other domains that I would like to use mailman on. Maybe I don't fully understand mailman but is there a way to use mailman on other domains?

You can use Mailman on any number of domains. The only restriction with
standard GNU Mailman 2.1.x is tha list names must be globally unique
in the installation.

There are 3 components to this.

1) The web server must recognize the appropriate Mailman ScriptAlias,
Alias, etc. directives in all the domains.

2) The MTA must know how to deliver the mail to Mailman for all the
list addresses.

3) There should be appropriate add_virtualhost() directives and for
Postfix integration with Postfix virtual domains, appropriate
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS entries in mm_cfg.py.

See the FAQ at http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9 for more, particularly the
part about fix_url.

>Internal users can still access the expired domain and access mailman but external users can not access mailman from valid domains (did that make sense?).

Maybe. You need to make sure the web server will apply the Mailman
related configuration directives to the host(s) yoiu want to use.