[Mailman-Users] Question About last_mailman_version During Migratrion

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 23 18:06:54 CET 2011

"Barry Finkel" <bsfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

>I tested the Lucid system, and then I copied
>
>      /var/lib/mailman/archives
>      /var/lib/mailman/data
>      /var/lib/mailman/lists
>      /var/lib/mailman/qfiles     [no files present]
>
>from my test Dapper to the Lucid system.  I then rebuilt the
>
>      /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>
>file (each system has test lists).  The question regards
>
>      /var/lib/mailman/data/last_mailman_version
>
>The current file on Lucid has "0x2010ef0", and before the merge it had
>"0x2010df0".

It is normally not recommended to copy the data directory. In any case, I *think* when you start mailman the last_mailman_version file will be overwritten, and this file is only used to determine whether to run bin/update when you install a new version.

If the file is not overwritten it would be good to restore  the original data.

> I have not done extensive testing with the lists I
>copied,
>but I had no trouble accessing the admin web pages for a few lists.
>Given that the Lucid installation is 2.1.13, should the
>last_mailman_version be set back to "0x2010df0"?  I am assuming that
>there will be no problems with the list config files in
>
>      /var/lib/mailman/lists
>
>between 2.1.13 and 2.1.14.

Mailman upgrades config.pck files as necessary on the fly. It doesn't downgrade, but that won't be a problem here.

Mark Sapiro - mark at msapiro.net