[Mailman-Users] Question About last_mailman_version During Migratrion

Barry Finkel bsfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Feb 23 17:06:19 CET 2011

I am testing migrating Mailman from an Ubuntu Dapper system with
my own Mailman 2.1.14 package built from the SourceForge source
to an Ubuntu Lucid system with the Debian Lucid Mailman 2.1.13
package.

I tested the Lucid system, and then I copied

      /var/lib/mailman/archives
      /var/lib/mailman/data
      /var/lib/mailman/lists
      /var/lib/mailman/qfiles     [no files present]

from my test Dapper to the Lucid system.  I then rebuilt the

      /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

file (each system has test lists).  The question regards

      /var/lib/mailman/data/last_mailman_version

The current file on Lucid has "0x2010ef0", and before the merge it had
"0x2010df0".  I have not done extensive testing with the lists I copied,
but I had no trouble accessing the admin web pages for a few lists.
Given that the Lucid installation is 2.1.13, should the
last_mailman_version be set back to "0x2010df0"?  I am assuming that
there will be no problems with the list config files in

      /var/lib/mailman/lists

between 2.1.13 and 2.1.14.  I have not loooked in detail at the Debian
patches to 2.1.13, other than to discard most of them when I attempted
to build a 2.1.14 Lucid package from the SourceForge source.  The only
problem I had in building the package is that is was built for AMD64
(as I have on Dapper), not for X86-64 (as I have on Lucid).  I have not
yet had the time to determine why, as I am told that I have to install
the Debian Lucid package.  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov