[Mailman-Users] can not see lists on the web

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 8 08:30:07 CET 2011

Ismail Ozatay wrote:

>I am trying to fix a problem related to my mailman lists. Mailman works
>properly even i can manage all the list but when i access
>http://lists.domain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin i can not see my lists.
>But if i go to the
>http://lists.odtumd.org.tr/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list_name i can see it.
>Here is some output from my ubuntu linux console;
>
>os ubuntu 11.04
>mailman version 2.1.14
>
>root at mail:~# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists
>50 matching mailing lists found:
>
>I tried to fix urls;
>./withlist -l -r fix_url list_name -u lists.domain.com
>
>When i create a new list, i can see on the web. but i want to recover
>and see existing lists on the web. How can i fix this problem?

There are two things that control whether a list is visible in the web
admin and listinfo overviews.

One is the list's Privacy options... -> Subscription rules ->
advertised setting which must be Yes.

The other is if VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW is On (the default setting), the
host name in the list's web_page_url attribute must match the host
name in the URL used to visit the page.

The above fix_url will set the host in list_name's web_page_url to
lists.domain.com. If this matches the host in the
http://lists.domain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin URL and the list doesn't
appear on the overview, check its advertised setting.