[Mailman-Users] Archive folder for migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 3 00:38:28 CET 2011

Frank Bell wrote:

>A few hopefully simple questions for upgrade to a new server. 2.1.5 -->
>2.1.12
>
>1) Do I even have to move the Archives folder contents for a migration

See 2.

>2) Can't I just regenerate Archives if we need them?

This is the recommended thing. Just copy the
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files and run 'bin/arch
--wipe' to regenerate the pipermail archive.

>3) Since Archives are just a set of folders, can I just right a script
>to selectively copy newer items based on date??

It's tricky in that that won't remove the old entries from
archives/private/LISTNAME/index.html, and even if you manually edit
this file, the information is in
archives/private/LISTNAME/pipermail.pck file and the removed entries
will return.

It's much better to remove the unwanted messages from the
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file and run 'bin/arch
--wipe' to regenerate the pipermail archive.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/2YA9> for links to a pruning
script.

See the first two paragraphs of the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9> for info on moving lists.