[Mailman-Users] Subscribers accessing private list archives

Sat Aug 20 16:52:30 CEST 2011

On 8/20/11 12:24 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> But as I implied at least in the reply referenced above, if you set
> the list's unsubscribe_policy to Yes, even a users confirmed
> unsubscribe is not effective until approved by an admin/moderator so
> this can be used to prevent users from unsubscribing, but you can't
> prevent a user from getting an on-demand password reminder and logging
> in to her options page and setting "no mail".

A bigger problem is that even if you can force the list to send mail to
the user, the user can still black list the mail if they really don't
want to see it, and there is nothing you can do unless you are also
being their MSP. And the problem with them blacklisting you is that for
some MSPs that can affect their spam filters and others (who want to get
your message) my find it being blocked by spam filters.

This is part of the reason such a policy doesn't work. Forcing someone
to receive messages just doesn't work, there needs to be enough value in
them that the people want to get them.

--
Richard Damon