[Mailman-Users] Subscribers accessing private list archives

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Aug 19 16:26:31 CEST 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Prietz, Ian wrote:

> I am looking for a way to give subscribers a generic password that would
> authenticate them to be able to view the archives (so they can revisit
> any past messages). Note, I do not want them to be able to access their
> subscriber settings to be able to unsubscribe themselves. I would almost
> like to just have everyone be given a generic password (that I could
> give out upon request), so they can view the private archives. That's
> all.

I would set the archives to be public, but require authentication through
the webserver for this area of the site.  If you can use .htaccess files,
you might be able to require that a password be entered to access
/pipermail/<listname> under your domain.

since I admin my own servers, I don't know how easy this would be to do,
but someone here would.

Geoff.