[Mailman-Users] Mailman integration with Google Groups: allowGroups Subscribers post directly

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:32:11 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>
>>- how can I setup Mailman, so it can accept mails sent through Google
>>Groups proxy automatically? -
>
> The envelope sender of a google groups post is
> <group_name+some_token at googlegroups.com>. If that address were a
> member of the mailman list with no password reminders and no mail
> delivery, the posts would be accepted as member posts. The problem is
> the +some_token suffix to the local part of the address. The
> Mailman.Message.get_senders() method doesn't treat +some_token as a
> suffix and since it is variable, it is not possible to subscribe all
> the possible<group_name+some_token at googlegroups.com> addresses to the
> list.

Am I right that "envelope sender" is just a relay proxy address, so
To: field will still contain my email?
Is it possible to add an option to Mailman itself to strip +token
before processing email addresses?
Does email standard allow to use +token addresses for multiple users?

> Thus you are left with a couple of other options. If the Google group
> is set to include a Reply-To: <group_name at googlegroups.com> header in
> delivered posts, and if <group_name at googlegroups.com> is a member of
> the mailman list (with no password reminders and no mail delivery),
> Mailman.Message.get_senders() will return that address in the senders
> list and Mailman will consider the post from a member.

Seems easy, but isn't it possible to forge Reply-To: address to spam
Mailman lists? I'd like to ensure there is some kind protection to
avoid spam that pretends to be from the Group. The same concern is
about X-BeenThere header solution.

> So, if you add <group_name at googlegroups.com> as a member of the mailman
> list (with no password reminders and no mail delivery), and either set
> the google group "Replies to messages"  to "Replies are sent to the
> whole group" or add the above SENDER_HEADERS line to mm_cfg.py, posts
> arriving via the group will be seen as member posts.

If I set "no mail delivery" then how the Group receive messages for
reading from the web?

Please, CC.
Thanks.