[Mailman-Users] Setting mailman to "archive browse mode" only

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Tue Sep 7 14:52:20 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 06:18:52PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Steven Jones wrote:
> >
> >My management want to move our listing function to Exchange 2k10....however we have a need to maintain the archives on the existing mailman server so ppl can search them.
> >
> >Is it possible to disable all of mailman's functions except search/browsing of the archive?
>
> If the archives are public, all you need is Mailman's archives/
> directory (both archives/private/ and archives/public/) and the
> pipermail alias in your web server. The rest can go unless there is
> some CGI for searching.
>
> If (some of) the archives are private, it's a little trickier because
> you have to maintain the 'private' CGI and the lists for
> authentication.

Both of those assume that you(r managers) don't want to send the
Exchange list mails to the archive, too. (perhaps, say, for
continuoty reasons).

> In either case, perhaps the simplest approach is to stop Mailman and
> not start it again, remove the Mailman aliases or whatever the MTA
> uses to deliver to Mailman, and remove the 'listinfo' and perhaps
> other wrappers from Mailman's cgi-bin/ directory leaving maybe only
> 'private' and anything relating to archive searching.

If continuing the archive were to be the case, I'd ditch existing
subscribers, control new subscriptions, add the Exchange address
as an allowed sender and sort out implicit (if needed), carrying on
from there.

I've not played with Exchange 2010 lists. Are they any good? RFC
compliant? Handling bounces?

> You may or may not also want to remove Mailman's crontab so password
> reminders aren't sent.

:) but maybe not the archive building...

--
"applying logic to English slang is never a sound idea"
    -- Stephen Fry