[Mailman-Users] Google distribution list as list admin

Jon Gardner jon at brazoslink.net
Wed Oct 20 16:52:51 CEST 2010

I have a list admin who is using a Google distribution list as the admin email for a Mailman list. Whenever Mailman sends an administrative email, the Google server responds thus:

>> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>>
>>  <email address of Google distribution list>
>>
>> Technical details of permanent failure:
>> Bounce messages should not be posted to a mailinglist.

Apparently Google is misinterpreting the From/Return-Path address of "mailman-bounces at ..." as a bounce. Has anyone else run into this issue? Obviously the workaround is to not use a Google distribution list as a Mailman list admin, but I'd sorta like to figure out a real fix.

Jon