[Mailman-Users] Newsletter bounce processing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 20 16:26:12 CEST 2010

Robert M. Jenney wrote:

>**I send out newsletter A twice a month and want to be careful not to lose a
>subscriber unless it's clear the address is invalid. Please comment on these
>settings:
>
>4.0 Threshold (default is 5.0)
>
>90 Stale After (default is 7)

90 may be higher than you want here. Assume post 1 bounces, post 2 does
not and post 3 does, if you want the score resulting from post 3 to be
1 rather than 2 because of the apparent successful delivery of post 2,
then you want stale after to be < 30.

You are correct that it must be > 15 or all prior bounce info will be
stale.

>3 Disabled Warnings (default is 3)
>
>14 Disabled Warning Interval (default is 7)

See below.

>**Also, I send out newsletter B once a month. Please comment on these
>settings:
>
>3.0 Threshold (default is 5.0)
>
>120 Stale After (default is 7)

The same applies here. In this case, this must be > 30 but should be
less than 60 if you want to require 3 consecutive bounces for disable.

>3 Disabled Warnings (default is 3)
>
>21 Disabled Warning Interval (default is 7)

See below

>**Finally, I assume the Disabled Warnings receive the same bounce processing
>as the original newsletters. Correct?

No. Once a member's delivery is disabled by bounce, any subsequent
bounces are logged as residual but otherwise ignored, so bounces or
non-bounces of the disabled warning have no effect. The only thing
which will prevent the member from being removed after (disabled
warnings) X (disabled warning interval) days is re-enabling delivery,
either by the member from the member options page or by the admin.