[Mailman-Users] /etc/mailman/aliases.db

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 1 06:47:31 CEST 2010

Troy Campbell wrote:

>For some reason when I moved the mailman configuration a few months ago
>I had to add /etc/mailman/aliases to the alias_maps e.g.,:
>
>alias_maps =    hash:/etc/aliases
>
>                hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>

>whereas on the old installation I didn't.  Since this is on a server
>that can fail over to another server that has the IMAP configuration
>which
>
>doesn't need /etc/mailman/aliases I would like to see if there is a
>workaround so that they both have the same postfix configuration.  Sorry
>
>if this is more of a postfix question but I didn't get an answer on
>their list yet.

Postfix doesn't do IMAP, nor do other MTAs, so I'm not sure if the IMAP
reference is relevant.

Is the Mailman package on the other server the same as the one on this
server which is clearly a downstream package if aliases are in
/etc/mailman.

>Basically trying to get the /etc/postfix/main.cf files identical so I
>don't have to manage the differences and bounce postfix on failover.

If Mailman is installed the same way from the same package on both
servers, and there are no non-mailman differences in the Postfix
configuration, there should be no reason why they couldn't use the
same main.cf.

On the other hand if the two servers have different Mailman packages,
then their Postfix requirements could be different.

On the third hand, this could be simply that on the other server,
Mailman's aliases were copied to /etc/aliases so /etc/mailman/aliases
wasn't needed.