[Mailman-Users] unknown user: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mylist at mydomain.com"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 27 16:51:51 CET 2010

On 11/27/2010 6:53 AM, Gustavo Delfino wrote:
> IT WORKED!
>
> Nov 27 10:14:56 admin postfix/local[21850]: 8879A2FA801F: to=<testlist5 at admin.gdsolutions.com.ve>, relay=local, delay=0.25, delays=0.01/0.09/0/0.15, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist5)
>
> You said that this "really shouldn't make any difference", but it did. Is there any other test you want me to try in order to figure out why this works?

I'm not a Postfix expert, but I can guess what is happening. I'm
guessing that when Postfix sees the address testlist5, it assumes that
this is testlist5@$myorigin (see
<http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myorigin>), but in your case,
$myorigin is not a local domain so it doesn't work.

You could try changing the mm_cfg.py entry to

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'localhost'

and then rerunning /usr/local/mailman/bin/genaliases

I now think that will work too and is more generic and thus is more
likely to survive future changes to your Postfix configuration.