[Mailman-Users] !st time install help

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Nov 25 21:39:48 CET 2010

I am new to running Mailman, though a long time user and have been admin
for a list or two over the years.

The system is Fedora 12, mailman ver 2.1.12-9, with the Amahi Home
Server (amahi.org) added.

So I am trying to setup mailman as a Amahi webapp.  The URL
mailman.foo.com right now comes up to the Apache test page, all ready
for my to put my index.html into the .../mailman directory.

host mailman.foo.com

returns the IPv4 IP for my server, so looks like I am all ready to go.

I am following the recipe from:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMailman.html

I run:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mmsitepass <newpassword>

I edit

/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

to setup my default URL:

DEFAULT_URL_HOST   =  mailman.foo.com
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = foo.com

I then run:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman

And I get errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist", line 99, in <module>
     from Mailman import mm_cfg
   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py", line 86, in <module>
    DEFAULT_URL_HOST   =  mailman.foo.com
NameError: name 'mailman' is not defined

Now I have not setup the URL mailman.foo.com/mailman, is that what it is
complaining about (and I think I have to edit the default.py to drop the
directory from the URL?)?

Or is there suppose to be quotes around the URL (DEFAULT_URL_HOST   =
'mailman.foo.com').

Or is it something else?

Thanks for any help.  We have a postfix/mySQL/CourierMail/SquirelMail
app just about ready for Amahi, and adding Mailman would address a
number of my needs.