[Mailman-Users] Disabling excessive bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 25 16:48:40 CET 2010

Simon wrote:

>I'm having trouble with a list where members are continuously disabled due
>to excessive bounces. I want to disable bounce removal but I'm not sure how.
>I've fiddled with the settings under bounce processing but so far nothing I
>do there is helping. I'm new to mailman so sorry if this is basic but
>Googling the problem has just resulted in more confusion.

Just set

Should Mailman perform automatic bounce processing?
(Details for bounce_processing)

to No on the web admin Bounce processing page.

If you want to continue to process bounces, but disable automatic
removal, you can't do that, but you could set
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings to a large number so members whose
delivery is disabled by bounce would not be removed for years.

If you don't want to disable delivery at all due to bouncing, then turn
off bounce processing as above.

The real solution though is to understand why these members mail is
bouncing and to fix that issue. As long as bounce_processing is Yes
and bounce_notify_owner_on_disableis Yes, the list owner will be sent
a copy of the disabling bounce which may help diagnose the issue.