[Mailman-Users] Mailman Crashes Regularly

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 11 01:50:34 CET 2010

Aaron Kreider quoted me and wrote:

>>Why do you have
>>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/extend.py which
>>imports MysqlMemberships? As far as I know, this is not something that
>>cPanel Mailman does by default?
>I'm using the mailman mysql adaptor so the members are stored in mysql

The Python MySQLdb package is not installed on your server in a way
that it is usable by Mailman.

>On 10/15/2010 8:53 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory?  You can
>>> change the cache directory by setting the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment
>>> variable to point to an accessible directory.
>> [...]
>>

>> The underlying issue here is that Python's MySQLdb was apparently
>> installed by root in a way that the the Python egg cache directory is
>> not writeable by the Mailman process.
>>
>> You can get rid of the above errors by simply removing
>> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/extend.py and perhaps
>> any other /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/*/extend.py files,
>> but this will defeat your use of MysqlMemberships.py, but since it
>> doesn't work anyway, and maybe is only installed for the site list,
>> that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
>>
>> Also, please read the FAQ at
>> <http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+and+CPanel>.
>>
>> Finally, it is not clear to me that the above error is from the crash.
>> It seems to me it would occur whenever mailmanctl starts.  Is this all
>> that's in Mailman's error log? What's in Mailman's qrunner log?

And it still looks to me as if this error occurs whenever mailmanctl
checks for a site list which is every time it starts. You could remove
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/mailman/extend.py. That would
at least get rid of the error every time mailmanctl starts and move it
to the instantiation of any list that has the extend.py.

If you want to use MysqlMemberships.py, you will have to install the
MySQLdb package in a way that Mailman can use it. I have no clue as to
how to properly do this on a cPanel server, but you could try
installing it as 'mailman' instead of 'root'