[Mailman-Users] Large list and delivery concerns

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 11 01:15:40 CET 2010

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>I am currently using the default of Mailman sending out the message to the MTA (default Debian Exim on localhost) as one message with lots of recipients.
>
>Is it best to fan out these deliveries into more than one message by changing SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and using more than one connection by changing SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION?

Lowering SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and/or limiting
SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION will generally not improve
performance.

All that is done by setting SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to a
non-zero value is to tell Mailman to close and reopen the SMTP
commection to the MTA after that number of transactions. This is to
accommodate MTAs that limit the number of transactions in a single
session.

Likewise, lowering SMTP_MAX_RCPTS only tells Mailman to send more
messages with fewer recipients per message. It doesn't add any
parallelism to Mailman, although it may enable additional parallelism
in the MTA.

With current Mailman, there is no way to add parallelism to the
delivery of a single post from Mailman to the MTA.

>Any other suggestions?
>
>It has gone well so far, the only issue being initially blocked by Yahoo mail servers, however, I am dealing with this separately.

If you ultimately need to introduce parallelism in order to keep
OutgoingRunner and Mailman's out/ queue from becoming backlogged with
multiple messages, you can "slice" the out queue into segments
processed by separate runners. See the section headed

#####
# Qrunner defaults
#####

in Defaults.py for information.