[Mailman-Users] Mailman bug or browser behaviour?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 24 23:01:12 CEST 2010

Geoff Shang wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Geoff Shang wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed that if I go to pending Moderator requests and approve a
>>> message from a particular user, if I leave the resulting page open which
>>> says "Click here to reload this page" and another message from that user
>>> comes through which requires approval, if I click to reload the page, the
>>> message is automatically approved and I'm told there are no pending
>>> requests.
>>

>> I think it is a bug, but I don't think the scenario is exactly as you
>> describe.
>>
>> I think the second message from the same user arrives after you go to
>> the pending requests page but before you submit the approval.
>
>No.  I've confirmed this twice int he last week, once just now.  I'd read
>the Email copies of the new messages before I refreshed the page, so they
>definitely came in before.

I think you may be confirming what I said. My scenario is as follows:

Message 1 from user arrives.

You go to the admindb page and see message 1.

Message 2 from user arrives.

You submit the admindb form approving message 1. Due to the bug,
message 2 is also approved even though it wasn't displayed on the page.

You click reload this page and there are no requests because both
messages were approved when you submitted the original form.

>> The underlying problem is that the data posted from the summary page
>> says "apply the selected action to all messages from this user" rather
>> than "apply the selected action to all messages from this user that
>> were displayed on the page".
>
>hmmm, doesn't explain why this should be the case if I hit the "Click here
>to reload this page" link.  Shouldn't that just refresh the list of
>pending tasks without processing anything?

Yes, but if message 2 were approved at the same time as message 1 even
though it wasn't displayed on the page, there would be no more pending
messages.

The scenario I describe is definitely a bug and is reported at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/533468> and the fix is
committed at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1227>.

If you have definitely confirmed a different scenario, i.e.:

Message 1 from user arrives.

You go to the admindb page and see message 1.

You submit the admindb form approving message 1 prior to the arrival of
message 2.

Message 2 from user arrives.

You click reload this page and there are no requests.

then this is not the bug I identified, and I don't know what the
problem is. As you note, simply clicking the reload this page link
does not do any updates, so message 2 had to be approved before you
did that.

Note that the difference between this scenario and mine above is
whether message 2 arrives after or before the submission of the form
approving message 1. In no case did I suggest that message 2 arrived
after you refreshed the page.