[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 11 16:41:22 CEST 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>On 2010-05-10 7:20 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> It turns out there was a Bug/Patch at
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/328907> which is related to
>> this. I've fixed that for MM 2.1.14 with the attached patch which
>> allows you to specify VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_HOST in mm_cfg.py, and if
>> you do, it will be appended to the local addresses in virtual-mailman.
>
>Great! Assuming you meant VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN (that's what the
>patch refers to),

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry.

>I have two questions (sorry ;( hopefully these will be
>the last on this topic)...
>
>In order to accomplish my goal, of lists working as
>listname at example.com, but the local domain in the mail headers showing
>as listname at lists.example.com instead of the postfix host name of
>listname at smtp.example.com,
>
>1. Would I set
>
>VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists'
>
>or
>
>VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists.example.com'
>
>Maybe the comments in mm_cfg.py for this option should provide an
>example for something other than just plain 'localhost'?

All of these would depend on Postfix. If you set

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists'

you will get virtual maps like

listname at example.com  listname at lists

and if you set

listname at example.com  listname at lists.example.com

and if you set

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'i_dont_know_what_im_doing'

you will get virtual maps like

listname at example.com  listname at i_dont_know_what_im_doing

I would hope that that would be clear from the comment added to
Defaults.py(.in). I'll add a bit more to try to clarify it.

>and
>
>2. Does this require any mods to postfix/main.cf?

Probably. What I think you want is

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists.example.com'

plus whatever is necessary in Postfix to ensure that Postfix treats
lists.example.com as a local domain, i.e. it must directly or
indirectly be in mydestination.

If you were to put

VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'lists'

in mm_cfg.py, I'm gussing that Postfix would append mydomain and try to
deliver to listname at lists.smtp.example.com in your case which would
probably fail, unless you also added lists to mydestination in which
case, Postfix might be able to deliver to listname at lists and would
identify it as such in logs and Received: headers.