[Mailman-Users] This should not have happened

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 9 01:38:09 CEST 2010

On 5/8/2010 3:11 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 14:38 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> I will modify the code to add \xA0 to make the pattern
>> 'Approved:(\xA0|\s| )*Hon94Bar' in this case, which will work for
>> this one and future ones like it,
>
> Where will this patch show up?  Since I'm running the standard issue
> gentoo linux Mailman, I may want to apply it manually to the existing
> code on my servers.  If you tell me what file(s) the regexp is found in,
> I can probably make the code mod from what you've given me here.

The patch will be in the 2.1 branch in Launchpad within a few days if
not sooner, but it is also attached to this mail as Approve.patch.txt.
It will be released in 2.1.14.

>> Note that we have never guaranteed removal of the pseudo-header from
>> alternative parts, and if asked, I always recommend a true message
>> header for this purpose.
>
> This is well and good, Mark, except that in my experience there are very
> few mail clients out there these days that enable the introduction of
> arbitrary true message headers into an email, so this solution, while
> ideal from the point of view of Mailman, is impractical in real-world
> situations.  Most of my list hosting clients are pretty non-tech and are
> using Apple Mail, MSOE, T-bird or something similar.  I'm using
> Evolution, which is a cut above most consumer-grade mail clients, and to
> the best of my knowledge it doesn't enable this.  The last mail client I
> used which _did_ was mutt.

T-bird supports this. Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Config
Editor and set mail.compose.other.header. In my case, I have
Approved,Urgent which gives me the both Approved: and Urgent: header
choices in addition to the standard To:, Cc:, Bcc:, Reply-To:,
Newsgroup: and Followup-To: in the composition window.

I have never figured out how to do this in MSOE, and I haven't tried
with Apple Mail, and I don't know Evolution at all.

One thing you could try is bookmarking a link like

  mailto:mylist at example.com?approved=password

which should work, but those clients I've tried it with ignore it.

If putting in a real header is not practical, there's always post
approving the post via the web UI.