[Mailman-Users] This should not have happened

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Sun May 9 00:11:52 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 14:38 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I will modify the code to add \xA0 to make the pattern
> 'Approved:(\xA0|\s| )*Hon94Bar' in this case, which will work for
> this one and future ones like it,

Where will this patch show up?  Since I'm running the standard issue
gentoo linux Mailman, I may want to apply it manually to the existing
code on my servers.  If you tell me what file(s) the regexp is found in,
I can probably make the code mod from what you've given me here.

>  but I won't follow your suggestion to
> check the HTML first. I think this is unworkable without implementing an
> HTML rendering engine, and would likely be no different, at least in
> some cases, from just not checking for the pseudo-header in the message
> body at all.

Well you're probably right in this.  In this case, I can tell my
customer to be sure to only add ONE space between "Approved:" and the
password, since the double space triggered the error in this case.
Applying the fix you describe above will solve the problem going
forward.

> Note that we have never guaranteed removal of the pseudo-header from
> alternative parts, and if asked, I always recommend a true message
> header for this purpose.

This is well and good, Mark, except that in my experience there are very
few mail clients out there these days that enable the introduction of
arbitrary true message headers into an email, so this solution, while
ideal from the point of view of Mailman, is impractical in real-world
situations.  Most of my list hosting clients are pretty non-tech and are
using Apple Mail, MSOE, T-bird or something similar.  I'm using
Evolution, which is a cut above most consumer-grade mail clients, and to
the best of my knowledge it doesn't enable this.  The last mail client I
used which _did_ was mutt.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | SUPPORT NETWORK NEUTRALITY
FMP Computer Services | --------------------------